Executive Director AIIMS Bilaspur (H.P.)
Hailing from a remote village in the hills of Uttarakhand, Dr. VIR SINGH NEGI completed his undergraduate (MBBS) and postgraduate (MD Medicine) studies from Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, and super specialty DM (Clinical Immunology) training from SGPGIMS, Lucknow. He joined the Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Puducherry as a faculty member and was holding the position of Professor (senior scale) and Head of the Department of Clinical Immunology before joining AIIMS Bilaspur, Himachal Pradesh as its founder Director.
Dr. Negi is a pioneer in multiple fields of Medicine with many firsts in the country to his credit for which he was conferred, 'Dr. BC Roy National award', the highest honor for Physicians in India. His achievements include the establishment of India’s first cell-based Immunotherapy facility for the diseases of the immune system and starting the first International cotutelle (joint) Ph.D. program in India which led to the signing of MOU between the governments of India and France. Dr. Negi is a well-known clinical researcher with many national and international research grants to his credit. He has long-term international research collaborations with universities in France, Germany, and the USA. He is a regular visiting professor at these universities. His collaboration with France under the ICMR-INSERM and CEFIPRA programs of the Govt. of India is particularly noteworthy.
His brilliant career and contributions to the medical field have been recognized and felicitated by national and international scientific and medical societies by conferring their fellowships, orations, and awards. They include 'Indian Rheumatology Association Oration’ and ‘SS Agarwal memorial lecture’; Fellowships of Royal College of Physicians, London, American College of Rheumatology, International Medical Science Academy, National Academy of Medical Sciences, India, and Indian College of Physicians.
Dr. Negi is a well-known clinician, medical teacher, researcher, and health administrator with an astute sense of converting novel ideas into accomplishments. He has been a pioneer in all spheres of Medicine including patient care, teaching and training, research, and medical social work. With his passion and hard work, he has established new and unique patient care services, new departments, started unique teaching and research programs, and trained clinical and research manpower to international standards. He functions with the core values of bringing improvement in public health through frugal innovations, the development of newer training programs, and resource generation to bring the latest advances in health care within the reach of the common man.
He proposes to accomplish the following goals in order to fulfill the vision of AIIMS Bilaspur:
1. Efficient and effective delivery of tertiary level (patient-focused, patient-directed) health care services, ensuring quality and patient safety.
2. Teaching and Training in core and newly emerging fields in medicine.
3. Patient-centric basic and translational research for improved healthcare and efficient utilization of the available resources.
4. National and global outreach to forge mutually beneficial collaborations (academia-industry and public-private partnerships) for excellence in patient care, education, and research through technology development, technology transfer, and innovations especially frugal innovations.
5. Identify skill gaps, Skill, Upskill, and Reskill students, faculty, and staff to expand their capabilities through on-the-job training, and exchange programs.
6. Devise sustainable solutions for local healthcare problems through collaborative efforts, and ensure their efficient delivery by education, health interventions, and training.
7. Community outreach for health education, delivery of preventive, promotive, curative, and rehabilitative services, and implementation of the health programs of the government of India and Himachal Pradesh.